Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Beaten By a Girl

     In the early days of video games, the primary players were boys.  To an extent, that's still true, though more and more females are playing video games everyday.  However, it's still common for the insult "You just got beaten by a girl" to be thrown around the video game world.  This insult probably has its roots in physical sports where traditional society thinks that a boy should be able to beat a girl at any physical competition, and if the boy loses then he is obviously some kind of pansy wuss who wears My Little Pony panties.
    
     This mindset transferred itself into the video game realm because boys still had some kind of mindset that girls are genetically incapable of being good at a video game.  Guys, let me tell you this is not true.  If you are beating a girl at a video game it's probably because she's letting you so that you will feel good about yourself.  Now where this insult used to be hurled from one guy to another, you're more likely going to hear it being hurled from a victorious female to a slightly despondent male player.  On one occasion while playing on Xbox Live my team was utterly decimated by an all female team.  After their victory, the ladies hurled the insults such as "Now get into the kitchen and fix me a sammich!" followed by "And change my tire while you're at it!" 

     Now of course I have no problem with female gamers.  Several of my best Xbox Live friends are females who would sooner snipe you in your face than fix you a sandwich.  I'm saying all of this to lead into this fact:  I have been beaten by a girl.  And not just any girl, but by my lovely wife (AKA, the Paper Toss Goddess).


     If you are unfamiliar with Paper Toss, it is an iPhone game where your goal is to toss wadded up sheets of paper into a trash bin.  Sound easy?  Well it's not!!!  There is a devilish desktop fan that thwarts your efforts with variable wind speed and direction.  If you've ever wondered how the field goal kicker who is trying to make the 40-yard field goal so his team can win the game feels, then download this game. 

     Your score is based on how many consecutive wads of paper you can toss into the trash bin.  As you can see in the screenshot, my best efforts have earned me a respectable 28.  My wife's score?  88.  I cannot wrap my puny male brain around how she was able to attain this score.  It boggles my senses.

     So I'm writing this to concede defeat, honey.  I can't beat your score.  It's 4th down and all my field goal kicks are falling short.  You will forever have the title of Paper Toss Champion in our home.

I have been beaten by a girl.  But it's ok.  I'm proud of her.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I will also admit defeat. I thought my score in paper toss was good and it is a 21! Mrs. Swayze FTW!

Darth Tabasco said...

My wife and I used to play the Mortal Kombat and Soul Caliber games. She could beat me on a regular basis and it drove me crazy.

I don't think it was so much that I was losing to a girl more than I was frustrated with myself.

We've also played a lot of Mario Kart vs. one another and it was usually a toss-up as to who would be the winner.

I've never really considered girls to be the "weaker" sex when gaming. As you stated, I have a number of females I game with on a regular basis and I get owned on a regular basis. But I get owned by a lot of people, so maybe that's not a good example...lol

Go Mrs. Swayze...you rock!